Friday, September 9, 2011

September 2011

We are only 9 days in to September 2011 and I feel like it has been forever.
Sam had his first day of kindergarten on Wednesday the 7th. (I will post pictures tomorrow) He was not very happy to be going without Mommy, Daddy, or Maria. Of course he didn't say Maria though. :-) He cried, but I have it good authority, from his teacher, that it only lasted about 2 minutes and then he was fine.
His first day ended early though because school was let out at 1:30 due to flooding.
We thought the flooding was going to remain localized, but the Susquehanna kept rising and before we knew it we got a phone call letting us know that we were going to be asked to evacuate. Deja Vou. I felt like I did 5 years ago when they knocked on our door 2 weeks after we moved to Unadilla to tell us that we needed to evacuate because the river was flooding. In 2006 we got about 6 feet of water in the basement of church which houses all the offices and Sunday school/nursery as well as the furnace. We also had about 2 1/2 - 3 feet in the bottom floor of our house. We live in a split level with no basement. Our first floor contains a family room, playroom/office, storage room, garage, and guest room. In 2006 we had hardly anything there.
Now, 5 years later we have a lot more. We spent over 2 hours on Wednesday trying to get the easily moved expensive items up to the next level and packing to evacuate to my parents. This time instead of on 3 month old, we have a 5 year old, 2 year old, and 2 dogs to move. I actually thing that the baby was easier. He certainly asked a lot less questions and worried less.

We have been staying in Clifton Park and keeping an eye on the flooding via facebook, you tube, and phone calls. We got news today that there are about 4 feet of water in the basement of the church and about 1 1/2 feet of water in our house. Not really looking forward to cleaning everything out again. I can still smell the smell when I think of last time - ugh. At least this time the church has flood insurance. Hopefully the damage is less and will be quickly cleaned up. We are pros at this now after all.

Scott always jokes about the fact that whenever he plans a picnic - it rains. Well the last picnic he planned two weeks ago we got Hurricane Irene. He didn't plan one this time, but I am beginning to think he attracts the rain.

No comments: